1. The heat rising off the mountains (thermals?) seem to be a big reason for turbulence around areas like Las Vegas. So does cloud cover help reduce those waves hitting the plane?
2. When traveling from the Northwest to Orlando is it generally smoother to go over the Rockies or the Phoenix/Dallas lateral? Does the answer depend on the time of year? I know the Rockies are prone to bad turbulence, but does that only apply for landing and take offs or cruising high above?
3. I’ve never been in a storm at cruising altitude, only lower, do they occur around 30,000 feet?
4. Once in a while on familiar routes the plane “dives” (rather than steadily lowering) upon initial decent, is it simply to make up time?
5. On which plane type of 737-300 or higher do you feel the least turbulence? Seems like 757s are very shaky?
Last edited by Brave; 10-29-2011 at 01:02 PM.