Thread: Curious about the PIREP's map...

Default Curious about the PIREP's map...

I am aware that the data is reported from various aircrews and am aware that the pilots discuss, among other things, the turbulence in their general flight area. But does the PIREP map get populated by a voluntary reporting or does ATC take a random sampling based on the chatter that is happening in their area to ensure a steady stream of data? And then is it a percentage indicator (each tick mark represents 10 reports) or more of a logarithmic indicator (the more tick marks indicate considerably more reports than a fewer number)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi. I believe it's populated with some automated reporting (I know United had some automated units on aircraft for a while), and specifically when pilots report turbulence. I don't believe ATC takes a random sampling of chatter, but I know that SIGMETS and AIRMETS have been issued because of pilot reports.

The ticks are not logarithmic or anything like that, they are strictly linear. If the map is painted orange with PIREPS you know it's going to be a bumpy ride.

You can see the content of individual reports here:

and below is an example:

http://aviationweather.gov

Urgent PIREP A332
    Obs Time: 2017-01-23T17:20:00Z
    Hazard: Turbulence
    Intensity: MOD-SEV
    Flight level: 250

Urgent PIREP: SBY UUA /OV SBY/TM 1720/FL250/TP A332/TB MOD-SEV/RM 250-210

Obs Time: 2017-01-23T16:50:00Z
    Hazard: Turbulence
    Intensity: SEV
    Flight level: 260

Urgent PIREP: ADW UUA /OV OTT/TM 1650/FL260/TP B757/TB SEV/RM 260-280
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our all new forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our apps: TF for iPhone, TF for iPad, TF for Android

Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying