Thread: Less Turbulent Season?

Default Less Turbulent Season?

Is there a less turbulent season? Do you generally see less turbulence in March, April, May?

I realize every flight encounters some form of turbulence. But if you hate turbulence as much as we do on this site, what is the best month to plan a trip in the US if you want avoid mod turbulence? When does the jetstream tend to lift North?

It is my belief that winter is the roughest time of the year, due to jet stream activity. The jet stream is usually strong and it's just lower, so it's in the way of more flights. Summer in my experience, is generally pretty smooth because the jet stream is so far up north. The problem of course, is storms, which usually are usually pretty avoidable, but when you get near, that's when you might hit some nasty turbulence.

Probably the optimal time is early fall or early spring, in between the summer extremes of storms, and the winter extremes of jet stream.

We are probably getting close to a good time of year to fly, as winter will start winding down soon.

I've always had good luck with February and November flights, I've done DTW-MCO a few times those months and no problem.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our all new forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our apps: TF for iPhone, TF for iPad, TF for Android

Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Quote Originally Posted by tb_neg View Post
    I've always had good luck with February and November flights, I've done DTW-MCO a few times those months and no problem.
    Good to know. I'm flying BOS-MCO on March 1st. You'll be getting my request for a forecast

Hey, same question, but considering climate changes. Is it still all right to fly in the US around March/April?

Yes, I think it's fine. Actually it's almost always fine, it's just certain days, so it's very much the luck of the draw. I've never said to myself, well, not flying that month because it might be rough.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our all new forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our apps: TF for iPhone, TF for iPad, TF for Android

Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

That's good to know, thank you, tb!

I've had turbulent flights and perfectly smooth flights (perfectly used very loosely there) throughout the year. My worst flight ever was in April. I've also had wonderful flights in April. I had another bad flight in October of last year and was posting the flightaware info here on the forums as I flew through some nasty weather. However another flight in October was beautiful. It all depends on the weather and upper level winds I suppose. I just trust that the pilot wants to land safely as much as I do and try to forget about the bumps. Living in Mexico, the bumps in the road here on a bus or in a car are far worse than what I've ever felt on a plane anyway.