PDA

View Full Version : type of jets most prone to turbulence

Brave
12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
After another bumpy flight on a Boeing 757 I wondered if bumpiness can be felt more on certain types of commercial craft. I know the adage is the bigger the plane, the less you feel, but I seem to have the worst experiences with 757s. So does anyone have a loose ranking of the various Airbus and Boeing planes, e.g., A320s, 737s, 767s, etc.? How about the Canadair 700? Much thanks.

tb_neg
12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
All things being equal, the weather matters the most. A bigger plane will feel less turbulence yes, but all sizes can hit all types of turbulence. I'd guess that your 757 trips go through a different route than your other flights (and probably likely longer flights), thus accounting for the difference you perceive. It's also a long aircraft. The 757-300 is very long, and it is known for flexing, so don't sit in the back, or you'll see the plane bend, seriously.

Brave
12-10-2009, 12:33 AM
so all things being equal, do you feel more turbulance on an Airbus 319 or a Boeing 737 (using these two as an example as they are in the same class)?

MrsMorton
12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I fly often and I recently flew from Boston to New Orleans in a JetBlue E190 and experienced very little turbulence at all. On my return flight I was in an Airbus A320 and it was stormy weather and it was light-moderate turbulence most of the way up to cruising altitude and then started again halfway through the route. Then I stopped in JFK and took another A320 back to Boston. There were high winds and rain that night (but I thought the A320 could handle it) and even though it was probably only moderate turbulence the wind was blowing us all over the place so you could constantly feel your stomach drop. I had white knuckles the whole flight. I think the weather has a greater impact than the plane size.

Brave
12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks. I'm already getting queezy reading your response.

tb_neg
12-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Exactly right.

\. I think the weather has a greater impact than the plane size.

readytoboard
12-19-2009, 03:02 AM
The 757-300 is very long, and it is known for flexing, so don't sit in the back, or you'll see the plane bend, seriously.

Earlier this year, I was seated near the back of some version of the 757. I saw the cabin bend. It was alarming.