Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JFK CDG in airbus -- shakier than I thought!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFK CDG in airbus -- shakier than I thought!

Last night (18 May) I flew JFK-CDG on AF 007. It turned out to be the airbus A380, which I'd only flown once before on LH from FRA to JFK.

There was a fair amount of turbulence flying off and on between New York and Nova Scotia, and then again over the ocean...pretty much where the maps on this site showed it would be (thank you again!). It wasn't that strong, but with a few of those big full-plane shudders, which always do wake me up if I've managed to sleep.

What surprised me was how much there was, in such a big plane. It seemed much more than in most rides on a 747. But this was noticeable and pretty irritating (how glad I am to say irritating and not frightening...)

For information I was on the top deck pretty much over the wing.

Anyone else with similar or dissimilar experiences? Or who flew the same route, different aircraft last night?

Sounds like a bad day then, turbulence wise. One day you have a smooth crossing, the next day it's a rough ride. Just the way it is.
    Haven't been on the A380 yet, so I don't know how it handles turbulence. I agree the 747 is very stable in turbulence.
    Few weeks ago I flew the A346 as a passenger and the one thing I noticed about that plane, was that it tends to roll quite a bit during turbulence which wasn't very comfortable.
    Size does matter, so be glad it was an A380 and not a regional jet ;-)

Comment

I like the way the 757 handles in turbulence, but I could be totally off base. I also think 737 vs A320, I prefer the 737 turbulence wise.
      TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
      Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
      Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Comment

Originally posted by tb_neg View Post
        I like the way the 757 handles in turbulence, but I could be totally off base. I also think 737 vs A320, I prefer the 737 turbulence wise.
        Thanks for the replies. Yes, maybe it is a difference between the Airbuses and Boeings. I agree about the 757s for sure. The worst I've had in a 747 (and used to fly these a lot when they were commonly used on transatlantic routes) is a major rolling motion that can be kind of interesting.

BUT the worst flight bar none that I ever had was in an Air France 777 which was terrifying. I posted on that one on 6 May 2010.

In general though it's clear that the size of the aircraft matters a lot...

Comment

Working...
        X