Flights getting more turbulent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    I hate flying too. How did I solve the problem? Just stopped doing it.

I really hate when pilots fly into storms and clouds, like jetBlue flight 24 did over Orlando/Daytona last night. I watch on flightaware or in person, in amazement and fear for every soul aboard.

I'll be driving from Florida to NYC on Thursday to avoid 36,000 feet of helplessness.

Still flying is much much safer than driving.
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/J...108Z/KTPA/KJFK

Skirting the edge of the storm through some rain is not anything like flying directly through the red. Doubtful that the passengers even felt many bumps.

Comment

He didn't skirt the storm. He flew right into the red.

The position of the red is shown south of the route he took, because the storm moved during the two hours that plane was in flight. In other words, that's where the storm was when jetBlue 24 LANDED at JFK. When it took off in Tampa, the red of the storm was directly in the path he took.

He never should've taken the I-4 corridor route. No reason not to take I-75 north into Georgia, like so many flights do.

Comment

Orlando

Go to any radar right NOW, and you'll see severe storms over Orlando, Daytona and up north near Jax, with HAIL.

Go to Flightaware.com and you'll see some cowboys flying right through it. That's why I drive.

Comment

When I was younger it was more of an irrational fear, that I eventually just overcame after years of flying regularly. However, in the past 2-3 years, I have gone back to being fearful again due to the rise in turbulence. I have not overcome this yet, and traveling more doesn't seem to help.

I'm not afraid that I could die, but that I will have a scary, turbulent experience in the sky that may further scar me. However, I just barrel though it best I can even if I'm sweating bullets and ready to hurl. Whenever I get really nervous, I just think about how much this trip is going to contribute to my life and that this is what I need to endure to get it, no matter how much I hate it.

When I think back on all the trips I've been on (both personal and business), I can't tell you how much of an impact they've had on me. Despite the horror I've been though on some of them, they are priceless experiences that I would never trade and can't imagine not having had lived them. They've provided me with a lifetime of memories, made me more interesting, more cultured, better educated, ect, ect. If I were to give into my fears and stop traveling, I would really be missing out on a lot. If anything, I am more encouraged to try and overcome this. I can only imagine everything that I've already missed out on in life because of the trips I did pass on due to my severe hatred of flying.

Also, stop watching the radar! I've flown through some very bad storms across the whole US with only mild turbulence, and I've also flown on days where there wasn't a cloud in the sky and encountered very sever turbulence. Sure you're more likely to hit turbulence when there's bad weather, but it's not the only factor.

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          I hate flying too. How did I solve the problem? Just stopped doing it.

I really hate when pilots fly into storms and clouds, like jetBlue flight 24 did over Orlando/Daytona last night. I watch on flightaware or in person, in amazement and fear for every soul aboard.

I'll be driving from Florida to NYC on Thursday to avoid 36,000 feet of helplessness.

Still flying is much much safer than driving.
          Last edited by elektrobank; 09-01-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X