Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which has more potential for problems - take off or landing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which has more potential for problems - take off or landing?

My fear of flying started a few years before I took my first flight ever (13 years ago). A Tarom crash (Romanian airline) that killed 61 passangers happened about 3 minutes after take off. This is how my phobia started, with its peak always at take off. So far, I was able to calm down SOME during the cruise (except the turbulence portions) but now after the 447, I expect serious freaking out during the cruise too.

The weird thing is that I get much, much better when the plane starts descending for landing. I start seeing the Earth and what's on it, and my mind thinks "hey, we're almost there...nothing can happen now". Let alone that it obviously can.

I heard that in fact, landing is as "dangerous" as the take off, if not more.

Does anyone know for sure which one presents more problems? Take off or Landing? Intuitively, it seems like the former should...

while most accidents do occur during takeoff or landing-remember-this does not make them unsafe, or dangerous, acts by the plane. The plane is happiest in the air, it simply does not fall from the sky or fall apart. yet takeoff and landing are both not unsafe, though in honesty they are the most accident prone IN COMPARISON, but they are NOT accident prone in themselves.

I do share the heaviest sensation during takeoff, i remembered that just yesterday in my flight, and it seems it comes from a heightened motion sickness of some sort, though i flew for 5 years every week with little to no concern for it. This is when windows help me, to keep a horizon and relax.

Breathe slowly during takeoff, talk to a neighbor if you can without driving em crazy, and be prepared for some bumps as the plane passes layers of wind and temp. this is normal, and not out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by Walrusmuse View Post
      Breathe slowly during takeoff, talk to a neighbor if you can without driving em crazy, and be prepared for some bumps as the plane passes layers of wind and temp. this is normal, and not out of control.
      I have only gone through a couple of take offs without medication and my husband pretty much forbade me to go through another one without the drugs. I get THAT bad. The "breathing" thing is simply not an option for me. If I am aware/fully conscious during take off, everything turns into a full blown panic attack. I usually make it through take off half unconscious, with medication. Landings, I can go without the meds.
      (I should note that I never use any sort of medication outside of flying - I am normally against drugs. Even nagging pain, I prefer to go without drugs. Heck, I even attempted labor without drugs - but it was just an attempt. :-) )

With flying though, medication is what makes it possible.

Comment

Working...
      X