Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southwest Airlines---Was this reported here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Airlines---Was this reported here?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31902513/

Near break apart in mid air.

I think what happened on that flight is what is referred to as an explosive decompression, and if I'm not mistaken, it very rarely occurs and even more rarely results in hull loss (the Aloha flight in the late 80s comes to mind, as does the United 747 flight from Honolulu--about 10 fatalities total).

The Aloha flight is an interesting case study because it was able to land despite literally losing its top at altitude. In comparison, the Southwest incident was minor.

I flew on a SW 737-300 last week and actually felt better about my flight knowing how swiftly and professionally the crew dealt with the emergency.

Just a thought . No use getting even more scared about flying if there is no need!

Comment

What's interesting is that if passengers had tried to "seal the hole" with something, it could've done more damage.

I say that b/c the Aloha incident may have been made worse when the stewardess was sucked into the hole, sealing it with her body, until a bigger piece broke off, and she was sucked away, never to be found.

Meanwhile, I'm driving I-95, to avoid air travel. I've seen several accidents, a tornado warning, and a family from NY was killed by a drunk driver hours ago.

Comment

Huge news. Southwest made an emergency landing on Long Island today. Flight attendant smelled smoke.

Comment

Not to fan the flames, but I've flown a lot and been involved in a few incidents over the years.

Long time ago: United ORD-DTW, plane turned around and landed after take off, electrical burning smell in cockpit.
          Few years ago: Northwest DTW-FNT, engine compressor stall on snow storm landing. (DC9)
          Few years ago: Northwest DTW-DCA, lights went out in cabin, crew decided not to turn around. (DC9)
          Few years ago: Northwest DTW-IAD, started to leave gate, engine leaking oil. Had to rebook. (Airbus A319/A320 I think).

Today, 5,000 airplanes in the sky at any one time, all safe.

Despite all that, I feel safer in a plane.

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Huge news. Southwest made an emergency landing on Long Island today. Flight attendant smelled smoke.
          TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
          Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
          Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Comment

Originally posted by tb_neg View Post
            Not to fan the flames, but I've flown a lot and been involved in a few incidents over the years.

Long time ago: United ORD-DTW, plane turned around and landed after take off, electrical burning smell in cockpit.
            Few years ago: Northwest DTW-FNT, engine compressor stall on snow storm landing. (DC9)Few years ago: Northwest DTW-DCA, lights went out in cabin, crew decided not to turn around. (DC9)
            Few years ago: Northwest DTW-IAD, started to leave gate, engine leaking oil. Had to rebook. (Airbus A319/A320 I think).

Today, 5,000 airplanes in the sky at any one time, all safe.

Despite all that, I feel safer in a plane.
            I remember that 14 minute flight. The last time I was on it, we ended up taxiing for 20 minutes after we landed. The pilot and I joked after that we should have just driven down I-75.

Comment

5,000 planes in the skies is such a small number. Seriously. There are millions of cars on the roads.

I'm not impressed that 5,000 planes are in the sky. Tell me hundreds of thousands, then that's better.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                5,000 planes in the skies is such a small number. Seriously. There are millions of cars on the roads.

I'm not impressed that 5,000 planes are in the sky. Tell me hundreds of thousands, then that's better.
                Just remember that 85% of cars out there are carrying 1 person, while most planes carry around 200 or more. I'd much rather fly knowing the statistics on accidents, distracted drivers, etc.

209 million people flew in the summer of 2008 on domestic airlines alone. In 2008, the scheduled carriers covered almost 8 BILLION miles and had 10.6 million departures! Given the amount of injury/fatal accidents over the course of the year (.0025 per 1 million flown miles. Accidents, non fatal. Fatal accidents did not even register it was so low), I can't even fathom an argument to say cars are safer. In fact, 2.35 MILLION people were injured in car accidents in 2008 Here's a chart to back it up:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/Table6.htm

I understand your fear, as I am still fighting mine, but you really need to step back and learn more before you go into freak out mode. Just because there have been a few accidents lately doesn't mean air travel is unsafe. Hell, there have been a few more than average celebrity deaths lately too. Maybe we should be leary of becoming famous...

Comment

Working...
                X