Triggers and Remedies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My story..

Is so similar to so many here that it is barely worth repeating. Grew up flying everywhere, all over the world. Never cared. Gradually grew fearful of turbulence. I had one bad flight, coming into JFK during a snowstorm where the luggage flew out of the racks and people were screaming. Oddly, I was pretty relaxed at the time.

Since then, my fear has gotten worse and worse. I am on edge for days before flights, and its all about the turbulence. I also can't ride roller coasters and get nervous on mountain drives. I have three kids now and it is very difficult for me to have them or my wife see how stressed it makes me; embarassing and frustrating.

I have tried EVERYTHING. Therapy, medications, a "hyppnotist to the stars" in brookline, Mass, self hypnosis, helicopter flying lessons. In the end, good old fashioned alcohol seems to help the most, and there are periods of time when it gets a bit better. One time I was seated next to a famous sports figured who I idolized and I chatted with him the whole cross country trip, ignoring the turbulence. Other times I am white knuckled even when the flight is smooth and stare out at the horizon to keep my mind calm.

I have considered flying private, and have been offered some flights with super rich friends on their planes, but I turn it down because I fear a smaller plane will be more turbulent.

I would give anything for...

-- a drug that put me to sleep for the LA-NY flight before take off.
    -- someone building a plane where you can't feel turbulence
    -- an end to my irrational fears.

Like most of you, I completely understand how safe it all is. It's just the turbulence. I've always wondered if it was related to balance, or an inner ear thing?

Anyway, thanks so much for this site. Tomorrow I am flying back on my own and hear that it is rough out there, so maybe you can help me dodge the bumps. Thanks again,

Comment

Thanks NervyFlyer. Reading your post is like reading my own mind.

One thought:
      I seem to be more nervous on less than 2 hour flights than on the longer ones. The former is short enough for nerves not to settle, so I'm on edge the whole time. It's hard to stay nervous for 10 hours. This might also have to do with the size of the plane, as they're obviously larger for longer flights. My sub wish: a 747 from San Francisco to Las Vegas.

Comment

Remedies

There are a number of books, CDs, etc. on the market, are any of them effective? I've heard that therapies that stress finger tapping (or a wristband that sends a pulse) works.

Comment

I wish

I had known about the Vegas nighttime trick before last summer. I lived in Vegas for six weeks and drove back and forth from LA to avoid the hellish turbulence.

One thing you guys (or gals) might want to check it out is a little device called The Stress Eraser. My wife bought it for me, it sounds like bull, but its quite helpful. Won a bunch of awards, including gadget of the year from Wired or Time or something. I've only used it twice, but it definitely lowered stress.

Comment

Brave, I merged your new thread with this one, as there is similar discussion about devices. The Stress Eraser does look interesting. I might have to get one and do a review. Below are two different links to the product.

Stress Eraser 1
            Stress Eraser 2

Originally posted by NervyFlyer View Post
            I had known about the Vegas nighttime trick before last summer. I lived in Vegas for six weeks and drove back and forth from LA to avoid the hellish turbulence.

One thing you guys (or gals) might want to check it out is a little device called The Stress Eraser. My wife bought it for me, it sounds like bull, but its quite helpful. Won a bunch of awards, including gadget of the year from Wired or Time or something. I've only used it twice, but it definitely lowered stress.
            TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
            Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
            Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Comment

The only "remedy" I've tried is the Relief Band: a watch-like device that emits different levels of electric stimulation. It seems to work well, I've only used intensity levels 1 and 2.

More often than not, my nerves are at their highest before a flight. I've flown about 110 times since getting back on a plane after a 14 year lapse. Since then, I've never freaked out or thought the turbulence was at a level I couldn't handle (close a few times.) So either I've been lucky, can handle more than I think, or the odds are that a nightmare flight is yet to come.

Comment

Working...
              X