03/22 Fft 178 Tus-den

daniel_T

Hi there, I know it's early but I wanted to post. I will be flying to Denver this weekend and a little concerned about the weather that day. I'm guessing light to moderate into Denver due to wind and the snow/rain mix??

FFT 178
Tucson-Denver

Dep: 9:55 AM
Arr: 12:45 PM

Thanks,

Daniel

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Denver is almost always bumpy (no way around that), but overall it looks decent.

daniel_T

Thanks for getting back to me. So can I expect mostly light turbulence for the trip? I know it's going to be REAL bumpy into Denver. 20 MPH winds with the mountain currents and all right around the time I will be landing. I just want to be put at ease and really get a grasp at what classification of turbulence I can expect on the flight throughout. Thanks :)

Daniel

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
wund.com says 10-15 mph on the 22nd. So perhaps it won't be too bad.

I'd guess not more than moderate. An Airbus A318 is a a nice mid-size craft too.

daniel_T

Great. Not the weather I was hoping for but oh well. What can ya do? I was looking at this map, which is the 0-48 forecast. This is what the turbulence is supposed to be like at my time of landing or some before or after. Is this a strong indicator the turbulence will be severe. :eek:. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm REAL nervous about this one. BTW, what does this mean? VT 1200Z 22 MAR 2008??

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
That particular map represents turbulence at altitudes 20k-45k feet. I tend to use it as a subtractive model, as in, if it's clear it'll probably be smooth, but color painted in doesn't mean it'll be rough. It also acts as a 'potential' map, as in, it has the potential to be severe, it's not a guarantee of severe.

Denver landings are just bumpy because of the position of the airport and the winds often means that the wind is irregular, just like water sloshing over rocks in a steam.

The VT 1200Z, is the date (March 22, 2008) at 1200Z (zulu time, same as GMT, or Eastern Daylight Time 0800). Not sure what the VT is all about.

As you can see, the maps have cleared up a bit (see front page of the site) and also 0-48 hour forecasts, picking your time before your flight (right now, it's the 12 hour map).

You will be ok, the data suggests to me it will be pretty good for a DEN flight.

Great. Not the weather I was hoping for but oh well. What can ya do? I was looking at this map, which is the 0-48 forecast. This is what the turbulence is supposed to be like at my time of landing or some before or after. Is this a strong indicator the turbulence will be severe. :eek:. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm REAL nervous about this one. BTW, what does this mean? VT 1200Z 22 MAR 2008??

daniel_T

Hi there, i'm in Denver now and wanted to post my flight experience. Very nice flight. Almost no turbulence the entire flight. Some light here and there that was barely noticeable and some when we went through the clouds descending at about 22000 feet over the rockies. Some pretty good turbulence from about 15000 feet to landing. Not bad but a lot of air pockets with dips. It acutally wasn't that bad. A very nice flight indeed. Hopefully my flight back will be nice.

Daniel