1/10 7am AKL-SYD-LAX-DEN ANZ101/UA840/UA1726

cjones

Lifetime Elite
Ok, so this isn't as early a post as it seems owing to New Zealand start. Seems from where I sit in the summer sun here that the LA-DEN leg could be unpleasant but not too sure.

Thanks for the insights,

Craig

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
T Minus 16 hours from my estimate. Plenty of opportunities for either smooth or bumpy flights AKL-SYD depending on what the jet is up to, and also weather, but it looks to be mostly weather and that should be able to be avoided well enough. SYD-LAX, crossing a jet for a small period of bumps, then fortunately, the ITCZ looks rather kind to you, so that's good, that flight should mostly be ok, bumps near LAX. LAX-DEN, bumps out LAX for a bit, then a reprieve for a while, then bumps into DEN. How does that sound?

cjones

Lifetime Elite
Sounds good to me. Right as I write this the Jeppesen maps are getting close to our departure time and they and the Air Force maps look really clear for our first leg at 7 am our time here. Glad to hear the ITCZ looks kind--those bumps way out in the ocean can be a surprise. Could wish for better weather LAX and DEN, but, well, it is winter and there is still some time before we get there (LAX arrival about 10 am PST on 10th) so maybe some help (though with a storm cranking up over the Rockies, I suspect the descent at least will be rocky--get those strong cross-mountain winds in front of a storm).

Thanks.

cjones

Lifetime Elite
Auckland to Sydney turned out pretty good, and most of the bumps from Sydney to LAX were in the first few hours--mostly pretty light with a few surprise bumps a few hours out surprising the pilot enough to ask the flight attendants to sit (of course, then it got smooth). After that it was about as smooth as you ever get the whole way to CA. While they were clearly expecting bumps into LAX [I saw later there were pilot reports of some significant turbulence], it was a smooth descent. Similarly we were told to expect a bumpy ride out of LAX but it was never much (a lot less than much of the international flight, even when the pilot came on to say we needed to stay in our seats because of the bumps were were experiencing). Same thing on descent to Denver--they warned of bumps that never came.