1/30 11 am ana 07 sfo-nrt

virabhadra

Lifetime Elite
Hi there! Another trip to Tokyo.
Would love any predictions for the way out -- I'm already expecting the way back to be a bit bumpy given the route and jetstream
Best,
Kelly

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Hello. I don't think it looks too bad, honestly. Decent start, some light to moderate northwest of the Seattle/Vancouver area, smoothing out. Some light bumps around Alaska's tail, smoothing out again.

Some light to moderate around that Russian peninsula northeast of Japan, the last part probably quite a bit bumpy as you descend.

I'll keep this open as I can only see the 18 UTC right now, still a bit far out. That'll be useful to see how the tail end looks.

virabhadra

Lifetime Elite
Thanks! I was hoping for a smooth flight there since the flights back are usually the bumpy ones, especially in winter. Best,
Kelly

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much as forecast, the bumpy area northwest of SEA has grown a bit but otherwise the forecast is unchanged.

virabhadra

Lifetime Elite
Thank you! Very accurate forecast, although all the real turbulence was in the first 3 hours. That swath you mentioned NW of Seattle was rough -- 2 hours of turbulence, and FAs suspended service and were seated for a long stretch.

Hope the flight back won't be as exciting. The Japan airlines almost never suspend service--they will cling to the seats and smile through air the US airlines would not serve through. :)