10/23/2016 22:35 UTC RIO BSB JJ3030 GOL Airlines

Popinigis

Lifetime Elite
The maps are changing every 6 hours... the 12 UTC map was good, but the 18 UTC is alarming. 0 UTC hasn't been issued yet, I hope it get's better. Another thing, tb_neg, about those red areas, I never know exactly what to expect about those. Can you give me more information about what happen on these areas? Is there any other way I could get more information about the weather on these areas? Thanks!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. The red areas are areas of possibilities. Meaning that there is weather 'possible' in the area. ISOL means isolated, so only 1/8th of that area will generally have weather. OCNL means denser weather, about 1/2 of the area will have weather (or in other words, more concentrated weather). FREQ means even denser.

So what I do for forecasts that only have red is to look at the radar closer to flight time. I would also look at the fronts for that time as well. If possible you can look at an animated radar loop to see where the radar and rain is headed, and if its getting denser, lighter, and which direction it is headed.

In other words, these are the kinds of maps you worry about closer to flight time because the radar image is way more important than a far off prediction of weather. The jet they generally know where it's going to be, but weather is much harder.

So let's take a look tomorrow closer to flight time and see what we have!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
I just took a look. I do see widespread rain activity but it's just cloudy and rainy, nothing too stormy that I see, which means maybe the usual associated cloud related bumps and rain bumps, so nothing too bad. I think you'll be fine. I'll take a look later today to verify, and do post and let us know how it went.

Popinigis

Lifetime Elite
Hey tb_neg. Did you have the opportunity to verify? Plane leaves in a few minutes. Weather is cloudy around the airport. Sorry to bother you.

Popinigis

Lifetime Elite
That was a surprise. This was a 100% good flight, with no shaking at all. Much different from the one of the beggining of the week, in which map there were absolute nothing in the way - red areas or green and red arrows. It was a big relief!

Also, this was a night flight. Flying at night or on the afternoon have been better experiences than flying in the morning.

Tb_neg, thanks for your patience, I know I demanded a lot from you this time. I guess it's time to visit the psychologist again, and re-read the soar book. Thanks for your help.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there, no worries! It's perfectly normal to be afraid of flying, and you aren't a burden at all. You're welcome here anytime, don't feel bad even for a second! :D