12/29 1:20am GMT SIN-SFO SQ32

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I'm still working out the kinks in my new ticketing system. I thought I had this waking up earlier.

I'll hope for in flight wifi.

Looks like you're out of the stormy weather near Singapore, should smooth out until around Tokyo, then a bit of light to moderate as you pass through a jet stream, and looks like you're joining said jet stream to save on fuel, so expect some light to moderate along the way, mostly light until you're at the midway point of the ocean crossing.

Then, a bit of moderate-severe might appear at 180 degrees to 210 longitude, or about an hour.

Smooths out to light to moderate again for the next couple of hours, then smooths out even more, until just short of SFO, then a bit of light to moderate near and into SFO, although that part of the US is smoothing out by the time you get there.

So, not super terrific unfortunately.

Hope you see this whilst you're still in the air and can find it useful.

araksonofthunder

Subscriber Elite
I did see it while in the air as a matter of fact. Thanks again!
The first third of the flight was exactly as you predicted. After some light-moderate east of Tokyo, we joined the jet stream. It appears that we found the right spot in the middle of it, because the next part of the flight was silky smooth with no movement at all, like sitting at home while being pushed forward by 220mph tail winds (in fact our 'ground' speed at some parts was slightly higher than Mach 1). It looked too good to be true so I had to buy the inflight wifi and check if you had replied. As it happens, I saw your msg about 10 min prior to the midway point. Almost immediately it would appear, some shaking started. Then it intensified and the pilot announced that they had been informed by USA ATC to expect moderate-severe for an hour, so all service was suspended. The announcement was a bit nerve racking because in all my flights I've never heard a pilot say expect 'severe' turbulence (moderate itself is too much for me sometimes). I don't know if things changed quickly or what, but the shaking itself was not too bad at all, and happened in manageable spurts. Then it was light shaking almost all the way back except the last 1.5 hrs.
So your message did help. I'm just a bit miffed the pilot had to be told by the ATC and did not have data already which showed the troubled spot. Maybe airlines don't care as much about actively avoiding turbulence if they can save a ton of fuel.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
I'm always astonished when I see reports like yours saying that the pilots seem surprised. It was indicated on a publicly available forecast map. :shrug:

I don't think the economics of flying work if they can't ride the jet stream for eastbound flights. Maybe there'd be a significant fuel penalty or range issues if they didn't ride the jet stream. It does seem jet stream first, comfort second, which probably isn't 100% true, but it sure seems that way.