Hunter75

Forum Mod / Channel 9
UA 1482 departs SLC at 0645 on a 738
UA 1152 departs IAH at 1250 on a 738

Thanks for the forecast!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like 737s are the new 757s. It shouldn't be too bad, all things considered this time of year. Some occasional light, and possible some light-moderate as you cross the OK panhandle area or thereabouts. Skies should be fairly friendly for this time of year.

Hunter75

Forum Mod / Channel 9
Both flights were actually quite nice. I don't have a lot of details, as neither pilots talked at all on the flights (so don't know final cruise, etc.). Also, these 737s were not yet equipped with Ch 9.

Departure out of SLC was under partly cloudy skies. We took off to the south and had minor bumps on the climb out through the clouds. We turned west, then north, then southeast as we gained altitude to get over the Wasatch. The seatbelt sign came off early, and was off for most of the flight. The descent was mostly smooth...couple minor bumps as we circled down for a smooth landing. I was on a brand new 738 with the new Boeing Sky interior. The FAs are getting better at working the light schemes and aren't constantly changing them. I guess the novelty is wearing off for them. But, clearly this one has not been on-line long, as there was the temporary interior without IFE. I hate when I miss People's Court! And, starting to see some of the UA corner cutting sneak into the product. The regular breakfast omelet has been replaced with a greasy breakfast sandwich. At least they are still serving the hot cinnamon rolls...for now!

Departure out of IAH was smooth. Cruise was smooth. Descent was smooth and landing was easy. It was cloudy and rainy when we landed, but it didn't affect the ride.

Not sure what you mean about the 757? I know Boeing always touted the 739 as a 757 replacement, but I haven't seen anyone deploy it like that. I'm just hoping UA dumps the A320s in favor of more 737s to keep things pure in their domestic narrow body product. But, we'll see!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like the 737 was the new thing to deploy instead of the 757, and with the 739s coming online, it seems like bigger aircraft (although it isn't quite the same as the 757) are coming back. So like everything, it comes full circle. I think Delta is buying a ton of 739s, probably to replace their aging 757s.

Not sure what you mean about the 757? I know Boeing always touted the 739 as a 757 replacement, but I haven't seen anyone deploy it like that. I'm just hoping UA dumps the A320s in favor of more 737s to keep things pure in their domestic narrow body product. But, we'll see!

Hunter75

Forum Mod / Channel 9
Yeah, it's sad the 757 isn't still in production. I know Boeing looked to the 739 as a replacement; it has nearly the seats and range, but airlines aren't embracing that. It's true we're seeing more 737s entering fleets, which is nice. I think we saw an extreme shift to the 50 seaters back when the economics worked, and everyone was running away from larger aircraft. Now we're seeing versatile models like this sort of settle to the middle. I think the next game-changer could be the Bombardier C series. It sits right in that market the 717 failed to really capture. Will be interesting to see how they fit in, and how airlines use them. Also...will they fly them or farm them to regionals...the question of the day!