2/3 5 PM (Tokyo Time) ANA 08 NRT - SFO (17 hours ahead of San Francisco time)

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Hello. Well, as you maybe feared, a bumpy flight seems very possible here. Occasional light to moderate for the first third, the middle part looks to be potentially bumpier still, smoothing out at about the two thirds marker, some occasional light picks up again just west of SFO.

The first third looks to be trending smoother, the middle a bit bumpier, the last third trending smoother.

Let me know how it goes!

virabhadra

Lifetime Elite
Well that was an un-fun flight. (I won't say terrible since every flight that lands safely is short of terrible.)
After 90 min, pretty much constant turbulence, and some parts were very rough. I saw my flight post Mod-Severe PIREPS on the live world explorer.

I've been taking the polar route to Tokyo for the past 3 years and definitely prefer it to the direct Pacific path!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I was afraid of. You would hope that if they saw bumps along the way they'd go a different route, but perhaps the cost of doing so would be high in terms of fuel.

virabhadra

Lifetime Elite
The pilot several times came on to reassure us that "The turbulence does not affect the safety of the aircraft." :)

It was really helpful to get your forecast so I could take motion sickness meds. That's really why I ask -- I've been flying without them for most trips but I'm glad I took it yesterday!!!