3/29 AA1025 ORD-RSW noon-4pm

mareducate

Super Lifetime Elite
Hi TB, last minute trip before hurricane season gets rolling. I hope you see this in time to give me a preview of things to come tomorrow! Thanks

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
ORD to RSW is looking good, some bumps out of ORD maybe, some bumps into and around RSW slightly more likely, but a nice flight otherwise!

mareducate

Super Lifetime Elite
That was the flight I always have nightmares about! Conditions must have deteriorated since the night before when you gave me the forecast. 1st half perfectly smooth followed by 2 hours of trying to get around the t-storms. We flew down the east coast of FL then aborted the final approach to RSW in wind and lightning when RSW closed mid-approach! How could they do this? I thought that once a plane was that close to touch down, it had to be given clearance to land.

The ride back up to altitude was extremely rough (thunderclouds, rain and lightning) and then the pilot said that we needed to land to refuel. We ended up in Miami where the plane was delayed again since the storm was everywhere. It finally departed at 6am for RSW. That was an 18 hour journey!

Any idea what happened to my nice ride?
I suspect we got caught in an unexpected storm. Seems like we should have been held at departure.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I had saved the maps for that day, nothing too bad was indicated. That being said with the summer season here I have to keep an eye on storms as well. They do tend to bubble up :(