5/18 JBU118 MSY to JFK

Tigjet

Hoping for a smooth ride from New Orleans to New York on Friday 5/18. Departure is ~11:00am CST.

Thanks For this Website!!!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like a slight chance of light-moderate could be possible for a good part of the journey and a good chance of light-moderate nearer to JFK.

Note that I usually post worst case scenarios based on what I think will happen.

Tigjet

Thanks for the quick response. "Slight" chance sounds good:) Hopefully it wont be for the whole trip; I'll give you a report.

Thanks

Tigjet

Okay, were in New York. But before we left New Orleans this morning, I checked the Pilot Reports and expected the worst when I saw so many moderate turbulence reports around JFK you could not even read them because they were stacked one on top of the other. So here's what we experienced:

Smooth take off in New Orleans. The flight was smooth for about 95% of the flight...the "Slight" forecast was right on tb_neg. The cloud cover from about45 minutes outside of JFK was pretty imtimidating. No land in sight anywhere. Watching the Jet Blue live tracking screen during our descent, I believe we entered the clouds at 8000 ft, and finally saw land at about 5000 ft. But suprisingly it was a pretty smooth ride through the clouds...very little turbulence? This was very surprising because for 1, I always thought clouds meant turbulence and 2, The pilot even announced the descent may be a little bumpy...Oh well, I'm not going to complain. Anyway, thanks again and I'll be checking in again on our return flight.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Clouds don't always mean turbulence, although it can be sometimes. I also saw the flareup for the JFK region, and that happens all the time, because of the winds, but I'm ultimately glad the flight went ok.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
I think it looks very good, storms might be a problem, but I think they will still be west of your flight path. Very good overall though.

Tigjet

RETURN TRIP REPORT

Well, we're back in New Orleans. Thanks for the forecast tb_neg. And I did see the Cloud/Storm Activitiy to the West (from the plane) that you mentioned. We took an almost straight-line approach from JFK to New Orleans. As you predicted it was a pretty smooth ride. And even though we taxied behind several other airplanes at JFK...one taking off after another, the take-off was smooth.

And at cruising altitude (~38000 ft per JetBlue Live Tracker) my Coke sat perfectly still on the fold-out tray while I enjoyed some free TV; Sorry to plug JetBlue here, but they really do have a great package with the free 30-plus Direct TV channels and the live flight tracker for every seat. I don't fly much so I can't speak for the other Airlines, but I have not seen this advertised anywhere else. It's a great distraction for me to watch TV, flip through the channels and every now and then check on the flight status (altitude, speed, direction and location). And another great feature about the live tracker is being able to look out the window, which I enjoy...go figure, and knowing whats supposed to be below.

Anyway, back to the flight, the only turbulence I noticed, and it was minor, was the final approach into New Orleans. It was a little "rocky" (up-down-side-to-side) beginning at about 2000ft, but nothing too bad; I suspect it was from the afternoon heat?

Again...Thanks for the Forecast!!!

Last edited: