9/9 AA1477 1:45-3:54pm RSW-ORD

mareducate

Super Lifetime Elite
Stormy weather up there today. Will it improve by tomorrow afternoon?
Thanks in advance for the forecast!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
The maps indicate isolated storms around RSW and ORD. ORD forecast for weather actually looks good, so I think you might be ok that way, but looks like there's a jet hanging around ORD, so be prepared for some bumps in the area.

mareducate

Super Lifetime Elite
Flight report

Flight report

The maps indicate isolated storms around RSW and ORD. ORD forecast for weather actually looks good, so I think you might be ok that way, but looks like there's a jet hanging around ORD, so be prepared for some bumps in the area.
Hi tb_neg, The last part of this flight was strangely calm, and I have a question for you about the 'potential turbulence' charts. I checked the potential turbulence chart before take off and it looked nasty, red and even a bit of purple arcing across Chicago. I was expecting the worst. Departure from RSW was only light chop, intermittent, as you predicted, due to the thunderstorms. He climbed to 38,000, turned off the seat belt light, and stayed there. I thought things would deteriorate as we approached ORD, but no bumps around ORD, it was clear and sunny by 3pm when we broke through the fairly thick lower cloud bank. When we landed, I checked the chart immediately since I was puzzled..... I was expecting at least moderate if not severe turbulence, and the same chart had turned green. What happened so quickly? Did the jet stream suddenly shift? Winds were almost calm on descent and landing. Hope you can figure this out for me. Thanks, as always, for the forecast!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
I've found that all the maps report differing things. That map (and it seems to be the one that everyone fixates on), tends to shade in things VERY aggressively. I find the pilot reports in the area probably give the best indication, but things change so fast! I've definitely been on Delta flights DTW-MCO and the conditions have flipped, such as "well folks, we hit some bumps on the way down and we're expecting some on the way back", but they never materialize, and vice-versa.

Part of the fun of flying! I'm glad you got a nice ride out of it.