Benzodiazepines

zoidberg

Lifetime Elite
Anyone here take Ativan or Xanax before a flight? I will be flying soon and have heard that they can promote DVT (blood clot formation in legs) during flight, and that they can sometimes make your experience worse.

I have an ativan prescription and usually take it only before a public speech or something stressful. Flight anxiety for me is more about anticipation rather than the flight itself. I haven't flown in 2 years so flying again soon will be a challenge to me.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
I find they don't really help, I just go with the flow and hope for the best. Of course, running this site helps a bit.

zoidberg

Lifetime Elite
Have you ever flown in a CRJ-200? I am going to have to fly in one soon and am kinda nervous due to pilots supposedly having less training (regional pilots aren't as qualified I believe) and the smaller plane= more turbulence. It's also been in service since the early 90's leading me to believe maintenance problems are more likely.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
I did back in March and I have a lot of times. You'll be fine. And with older planes, all the kinks have been worked out, so nothing to worry about. They are smaller but I've never had a bad turbulence experience in one. Seating is tight though, and it's not something you can stand up in.

zoidberg

Lifetime Elite
Ok, that does allay my anxiety a bit. This will also be my first flight by myself, so i'm very anxious.

I'm 22, just graduated college, and am fortunate enough to have a company offer to fly me out and pay me for everything (rental car, hotel, food, flight) so not only am I nervous about the interview, i'm nervous about getting there as well. I'll post the flight info on Sunday since I won't be leaving until next Tuesday.