can you explain

kucher

Lifetime Elite
On Saturday, May 19 Las Vegas to Edmonton about 45min before landing I was watching the live map. The plane went from 40,000 ft to 25,000 ft in about 7 min. What was the reason for the sudden drop. It was a little bumpy, the seat belt sign was on for about 1/3 of the flight. Just curious. Once again thanks for this site.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
That does seem a bit fast, but not unheard of. There could be any number of reasons. It may have been rougher at a higher altitude and you dropped to stay out of the worst. Higher altitudes are more fuel efficient, so maybe they wanted to stay up there as long as possible to save fuel. It may have been constraint on air traffic control, or many other reasons. Turbulence is just one of the factors in choosing an altitude.

Unfortunately, since part of the flight was in Canada, it was not completely logged at http://flightaware.com

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
That does seem a bit fast, but not unheard of. There could be any number of reasons. It may have been rougher at a higher altitude and you dropped to stay out of the worst. Higher altitudes are more fuel efficient, so maybe they wanted to stay up there as long as possible to save fuel. It may have been constraint on air traffic control, or many other reasons. Turbulence is just one of the factors in choosing an altitude.

Unfortunately, since part of the flight was in Canada, it was not completely logged at http://flightaware.com

Putt4Par

On Saturday, May 19 Las Vegas to Edmonton about 45min before landing I was watching the live map. The plane went from 40,000 ft to 25,000 ft in about 7 min. What was the reason for the sudden drop. It was a little bumpy, the seat belt sign was on for about 1/3 of the flight. Just curious. Once again thanks for this site.
Could be due to traffic, or to get on the glideslope (for landing), etc... many, many reasons. Most likely ATC told the pilot to descend and expedite due to traffic or to get their "ducks" aligned for landing.

P4P

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Flying into DCA can always been fun like this, but this kind of maneuvering doesn't bother me.