Does everyone else hate the ERJ-135/145?

ksjhawk

Going to Cleveland next week on the dreaded "cigar tube with wings", otherwise known as the Embraer ERJ-145. At 5'8" in seat 2, I still have to bend my head to sit in the seat. The only good thing about this plane is the left hand side (looking at cockpit) has no one next to you. These things are terrible in landing/takeoff in wind. Any reason why I should not look at this plane any different than a large Boeing? I can't believe these things are used to carry 50 people - same goes for the CRJ-500 (Bombardier). I tend to choose airlines by fleet, both size and age which is why I don't fly Continental (ERJs) or American (old MD-80s) much.

bologna

In fact, one of the smoothest flights I've ever had was on an AA CRJ700 (which is just a bit bigger than the ERJ135/45). It might just have been luck, but it was a situation where there was a snowstorm and a flight crossing the jetstream. There was no turbulence. None, whatsoever. A pleasant suprise, needless to say. I can't argue about the headroom, though.

They also fly faster than most other aircraft. (It's the second fastest plane in AA's fleet, second to the 777). But, they add to airport congestion.

ksjhawk

It's true that I've also had some of the smoothest flights on these planes when it seems as though it was quite windy at least at ground level. They are so small though and I hate landing in these cracker boxes. Has anyone flown the CRJ900 and if so, is it just a longer version of the other CRJs, but with the same diameter fuselage?

philk69

Subscriber Elite First Class
Heck, if you wanted a "cigar tube with wings"...

Heck, if you wanted a "cigar tube with wings"...

do you ever fly on a Fairchild Metroliner? USAir used to fly them in the mid-west during the 90's - I spent more than my share of time bouncing between Pittsburgh to Indy to Champaign, IL on those damn things.

Funniest thing ever was after take-off, a woman got up to look for the bathroom - this plane didn't even have a flight attendant much less a bathroom - she ended up practically doubled over by the time we landed!

Hunter75

Forum Mod / Channel 9
do you ever fly on a Fairchild Metroliner? USAir used to fly them in the mid-west during the 90's - I spent more than my share of time bouncing between Pittsburgh to Indy to Champaign, IL on those damn things.

Funniest thing ever was after take-off, a woman got up to look for the bathroom - this plane didn't even have a flight attendant much less a bathroom - she ended up practically doubled over by the time we landed!

I never had the pleasure of flying the Metroliner, but I spent A LOT of time on CO's Beechcraft 1900Ds out of CLE over a two year span. I loved how the FO would turn around in his seat and give the safety briefing. My flights to DTW were canceled more than flown due to winds in the summer. There were also some pretty fun/scary rides on those during winter snowstorms. But, I loved sitting in 1A because I could look out the front windscreen during the whole flight.