Does the size of the plane matter? safer?

oweston12

Lifetime Elite
I flew on a Embraer ERJ-145 and hit turbulence. Would you feel it as much on a bigger plane like a 747? Which plane would you feel less turbulence? Does it matter if the plane is bigger. I know that different size airlines fly at different levels. But assume that its the same flight plan would it matter? Is one safer more than the other when it comes to turbulence?

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Sizes matter a lot. You would feel less turbulence on bigger craft, but you can still experience severe on bigger craft. It just takes a bit more wind to move it around.

Brave

Size does matter

Size does matter

If all conditions are equal, the bigger the plane, the less turbulence. What's debatable is whether Boeing or Airbus provides a smoother experience, all other factors being equal. Some say that the Airbus 320 series has a stiffer wing than the Boeing 737, thus the cabin absorbs more of the motion.

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Captain Lim has something to say about the Boeing 777 vs the Airbus A340.

He recently moved his site around, so I can't produce the link.

If I recall correctly, he says the 777 does better than the 340.

http://www.askcaptainlim.com

If all conditions are equal, the bigger the plane, the less turbulence. What's debatable is whether Boeing or Airbus provides a smoother experience, all other factors being equal. Some say that the Airbus 320 series has a stiffer wing than the Boeing 737, thus the cabin absorbs more of the motion.