Flying to Denver for the first time!!! Help

daniel_T

Hi there, I am flying to Denver the end of march and although I am very excited, I can't shake that feeling it's going to be a crazy flight. I've always heard that Denver is one rough place to fly into and it freaks me out.

I love flying, but I cannot stand turbulence. I have gotten more used to it, but it still bugs me. Can anyone give me info on flying into Denver? From experience? What can I expect? Thanks much,

Daniel

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
If it's turbulent somewhere, there's a good chance that DEN is the place, just because of the geography.

Hi there, I am flying to Denver the end of march and although I am very excited, I can't shake that feeling it's going to be a crazy flight. I've always heard that Denver is one rough place to fly into and it freaks me out.

I love flying, but I cannot stand turbulence. I have gotten more used to it, but it still bugs me. Can anyone give me info on flying into Denver? From experience? What can I expect? Thanks much,

Daniel

bologna

From my experiences of flying to/from Denver, all of the landings have been fine, and all of the take-offs have had just a bit of turbulence. Not to worry though, since, at least, in my case, it hasn't lasted long, and was never too bad. The airport in Denver is really cool too, so that's something to look forward to.

Hunter75

Forum Mod / Channel 9
A lot of it depends on where you're coming from and what aircraft you're on. Of course, the weather and winds play a role, too. LOL.

I find that coming into DEN from the east usually isn't as bad because you don't have to come over the Rockies. Generally, once you're below about FL120, it tends to smooth out.

If you're coming from the west, you're sure to experience the "Denver Bump." Usually, the descent over the Rockies can be a bit bumpy, but the larger the aircraft, the less you'll feel it. My worst ride was into DEN from MTJ (Montrose) on a 30 passenger EMB 120 turboprop. It felt like a roller coaster.

Bottom line...DEN is pretty much always bumpy on the descent, but once you're over the front range and below 15-12K feet, it usually smooths out.

daniel_T

Thanks for all the info. I will be flying into Denver from Tucson on Frontier Airlines Flight 178. An Airbus A318. I will be coming in March 22 and departing March 28th on Frontier Flight 177 an Airbus A319.

I feel much better about flying into Denver, after hearing many different stories about flying into there. At least i'll have DirecTV and my MP3 player if it get's REAL bumpy.

Daniel

Brave

I too have heard stories about Denver, but after four trips there in the past two years, I have not experienced even close to moderate turbulence. Flying early or late in the day should improve your odds for a smooth flight.

ksjhawk

I've flown into DIA numerous times on 737, 757 and Canadair 500s - all have been pretty good. There is occassional "shake" on descent, but one under about 5000 feet it's usually been good. End of March is the movement into Spring and potential for severe storms and fronts, so a lot also depends on the time of day you are flying.

I've been where you are - I'm a former white knuckle flyer who is now pretty good (but still check this site before I fly!)

daniel_T

thanks for all the replies. At least if it get's bumpy, hopefully it's not too long. The flight from takeoff to landing is 1 hour 30 minutes. Not too bad.

Daniel