How Do you interpret this forecast screen?

Brave

0-48 Hour Forecasts
There's a scale above the map that reads, "US Turbulence Advisories (hour) 0 3 6 12 18 24. So if I select "18" does this mean 18 hours from now? Or does 18 mean 6:00 p.m.? Why is the link titled 0-48, i.e., what does the 48 refer to?

...upon further review, I think I figured it out. However, please confirm the exact time of a map image, Pacific, Global, etc.

Last edited:

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Not all the maps go up to 48. USA2 does though. The maps in that group forecast from hour zero (now), through hour 48 (2 days from now), it's just how I grouped them together.

I am not sure though, how the individual maps work in terms of validity for times. However though, it is a rough guideline. If the map says hour 12, it's probably good for a few hours before and after 12 hours from now. Things don't change fast enough for it to matter too much to know it's validity period more than say, 3-6 hours.

For USA flights, the two most important maps are pilot reports, and advisory areas. Checking the mobile site at the airport is the best way to get a good picture ( m.turbulenceforecast.com )

Most maps are updated every hour, except for US Pilot Reports of Turbulence, US Advisory areas. These are updated every 20 minutes as soon as they are generated from our data source. Radars are also updated every 20 minutes. US Max Turb Potential are updated every 4 hours.

0-48 Hour Forecasts
There's a scale above the map that reads, "US Turbulence Advisories (hour) 0 3 6 12 18 24. So if I select "18" does this mean 18 hours from now? Or does 18 mean 6:00 p.m.? Why is the link titled 0-48, i.e., what does the 48 refer to?

...upon further review, I think I figured it out. However, please confirm the exact time of a map image, Pacific, Global, etc.

Brave

Thanks. Excuse all the questions, but just want to ensure that I'm utilizing this cool site effectively.

Here's another:

The time stamp above the Turbulent Advisory map indicates: created at 0555 UTC Mon 07 Jan 2008, what does this exactly mean? How about valid until 0900z/7th?

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
No problem.

This one is a bit more clear. It was created at 555 UTC which is GMT. Eastern Time in the US is -5 from GMT. If it's 5pm here, it's 10pm UTC/GMT.

It is valid through 900z (Zulu time = same as UTC/GMT) on the 7th, basically an expiration. All times are in military 24 hour time. We get new ones every 20 minutes though, though they may not be updated as frequently as that.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
or this one
http://www.thetimenow.com/time-converter.php

So the map was created at 12:55am Eastern Time, and good until 4:00am Eastern Time.

Thanks. Excuse all the questions, but just want to ensure that I'm utilizing this cool site effectively.

Here's another:

The time stamp above the Turbulent Advisory map indicates: created at 0555 UTC Mon 07 Jan 2008, what does this exactly mean? How about valid until 0900z/7th?

Last edited: