Need Advice from all You Seasoned Travelers on Turbulence...

Need Advice from all You Seasoned Travelers on Turbulence...

• Total voters

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Above all, please get on the plane no matter what. This site is just a tool that helps predict. It's not a guarantee one way or another. Above all, get on that plane. See this support resource of the same name http://www.getonthatplane.com/

Smooth Sailing

I use 2-3 glasses of wine or beer in the terminal, plus another in flight. This often makes time go by faster as well. I flew a SEA-IAD redeye that went by so quickly, I had to check flightaware when I got home just to reassure myself that we didn't set some kind of speed record.

Doesn't always work though. Hit some Rocky Mtn bumps on a UA transcon, while listening to channel 9. My wife got some wine from the FA to help me out, and just as I poured it into the cup, a Delta plane on our frequency reported severe turbulence to Denver Center. I gulped down what was then my 4th wine in the previous 90 min, and still had palm sweats.

Either way, I refuse to let this stupid, irrational fear beat me. So tired of embarassing myself with armrest grabs and panicked appearances That's the worst, getting a smooth ride the final hour of the flight and having the person next to you ask questions like you're a mental patient, while they slept and read the paper through all the jolts.

lexissima

yes, have tried meds

yes, have tried meds

I've also tried alcohol, sometimes lots even. Since I don't drink or use any mood altering substances anymore, taking flight meds is out of the question for me. For me, alcohol, xanax, all that stuff does not work in turbulence--it has worked to get me on the plane and to be more relaxed in good conditions. But, in turbulence, I just feel panicked with or without meds. I found that pills/ alcohol just made me feel panicked and a little sleepy...but, anxiety really wakes up my CNS :(

Comprehensive therapy---anti depressants, talk therapy, cognitive, reading, breath work, yoga---does seem to help. The more my anxiety condition is managed or maintained in general, the better i seem to handle turbulence. But honestly, I've accepted that to some degree or another that i am just an uncomfortable flyer, and that i'm gonna feel uncomfortable on bumpy flights--that helps more than anything...i read somewhere that turning up the dial on acceptance of discomfort, letting some of it in (instead of resisting it), actually lessens (counterintuitively) some of your feelings of anxiety. I've found this to work...but it's not a quick fix; it's more of a psychic change. Hope some of this helps.

tropheuss

found something that works for me

found something that works for me

i recently took a short flight from SFO to LAX and experienced moderate turbulence half way through - i was pretty anxious going in since i saw reports in large commercial aircraft experiencing mod turbulence (btw, i 'got on that plane' per recommendations on this board and saw it as my training to a 6-month travel stint i'm going to do using a One World Ticket) anyway, i gulped down two shots and proceeded to play 'brick breaker' - that game that comes pre-installed on the blackberry. the mental focus required to play vis a vis my inebriated state helped me take the focus off the turbulence and onto the game. every time i got jolted i reverted to a 'stop bothering me i'm focusing on beating this game' mentality. needless to say, i'm going to get a PSP now.

Jural

I use Dramamine. I know it's lightweight, but I really don't notice the smaller bumps when I'm on it.

Also, I suggest going to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Often there is a drug free approach.

I'm also an engineer, and totally do not enjoy flying. Logically, I know things are quite safe, but that doesn't help :) Sometimes you can get over these things alone, sometimes you need help. I'd talk to a psychiatrist first before self medicating. Hopefully you'll get to a manageable state.