Question about best time of day to fly

Andrea824

Hi! Thanks for the site...

I live in Reno....or "turbulence city" as I like to call it. I fly about once a month, usually to Vegas but I dread it everytime because I know how the winds and mountains can be in this area. I was wondering if there is a better time of day to fly during the winter pattern to avoid some of the "bumps?"

Thanks in advance!

Andrea824

It is especially bumpy during take-off and landing. I know the pilots have mentioned wind shears before and they always seem to attribute it to the mountains in the area. It can occasionally be bumpy the whole flight but it is mostly the take-off and landing that concern me.

Thanks!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Between the mountains and the heat, there isn't much you can do. I imagine early morning would be a little bit better, but just like water sloshes over rocks in a river, the air is going to do the same over the mountains, that's just a feature of the area you travel in.

Andrea824 said:
It is especially bumpy during take-off and landing. I know the pilots have mentioned wind shears before and they always seem to attribute it to the mountains in the area. It can occasionally be bumpy the whole flight but it is mostly the take-off and landing that concern me.

Thanks!