South American turbulence 5/15

astrodeb

Hi folks,

I flew from Miami to Santiago de Chile on the night of 5/15. I was mostly worried about big CB field around Panama and Columbia, but the worst culprit ended up being a strong jet stream over northern Chile which twice seemed to threaten our roll stability at FL350. Not surprisingly, there were no flight attendants up and about from about 1 hour south of Miami to the descent where they somehow managed to serve breakfast and clean up finishing about 5 min before landing. No comment from flight crew at all about ride - guess they had their hands busy all night, and PF perhaps not on top of game as flare minimal on landing (ouch). Turbulenceforecast South America map for that night showed a region of moderate to severe (!) turbulence across the Andes that the next morning (guess someone else reported it), so congrats to the folks who make the map. Said jet stream is currently messing up usually clear skies in the Atacama for astronomical observations :(. Here's hoping that the jet stream goes elsewhere before I head northward on Tuesday night.

Cheers,
Astrodeb

astrodeb

No, didn't save the map. I was still in transit when I saw it online, and when I reached a room I went to sleep for long enough for the next day's worth of maps to be uploaded. It is unfortunate as it was a memorable flight for me. However, the feature is still much in evidence for northern Chile, although it is currently marked as moderate turbulence from 420 to XXX.