transpacific flight-march 7th or 9th?pls HELP!

kimy0907

Hi again,i just need advice badly and your advice will be a great great help.

im in LA and will be leaving for the Philippines on march 7th.given the current weather here in the US(severe thunderstorms and hurricane watch in some states,not LA though) ,im very very anxious to leave.i know my flight wont be within the US but im scared it might have an effect on the turbulence going back to Manila.

Im planning to leave on march 9th(sunday) then just to make sure the storms and hurricans (if ever) have cleared up. my mom says it wnt make a difference cause im not flying WITHIN the US but transpacific anyways. Is this really the case? wont the bad weather here affect any transpacific flights? And am i okay leaving on friday?

pls pls pls,i really need help:frown::confused::frown:

lexissima

i feel your pain

i feel your pain

Here's the thing: I love to travel, i even like flying, but turbulence really, really freaks me out. Avoiding it makes it worse. I didn't fly for three years once, and it made me more anxious and obsessive. In cognitive therapy for anxiety, they say you must have some contact/ exposure to your fears. The thing is, no one can promise you a smooth flight. And, there are lots of different factors in turbulence--so you can't predict based on the weather. For me, it's best just to make a reservation and let it go--i've checked the weather and freaked out and then totally had a smooth flight. BUT, you will be flying in a big plane, yes? And, you can hardly feel anything in those ones. My experience on longer haul flights is that they fly high, so above most bumps and that the pilots work harder to avoid turbulence. I figure they must think, if we''re only hopping from cleveland to chicago, what's the point? pure speculation. Another tip: I recently had a long flight that i was extra nervous about, and I told the flight crew i was a nervous flyer and could i meet the pilot? Well, guess what, I got a tour of the cockpit, a run down on turbulence and even an upgrade to first class. Meeting the pilots helped me feel much more at ease AND they showed me the weather print out and expected turbulence report, which is rated from 0 to 5 severity...they said they were expecting some 2s or 3s midway through the flight, but they always try to slow down or change altitude whenever they get into 2 + territory. They said severe turbulence is very, very, very rare and that the airplane can totally take it even if you feel like you can't. one captain, who's been flying for thirty years said that only ONCE did turbulence ever raise his eyebrows...imagine how many flight hours he's logged, and only one time!!! Please take heart, girl ! He also said pilots hate bumps b/c it slows them down and annoys passengers so they do all they can to avoid it. When it does get bumpy, I try to hang onto to a few things:

1) even though everyone around you looks relaxed, and some are sleeping, and you're thinking "how can you SLEEP at a time like this?!", I promise you there's someone else on the flight who's nervous too. This is really hokey, but i pray for that other person to feel peace and calm and trust...and sometimes i feel it too.

2) this is only temporary...i can make it another five minutes...so i just take the bumps five minutes at a time...until it eases up.

3)BREATHE. push your tummy out to your seat belt and breathe out hard. stop grabbing the arm rests and lift your feet from the floor--it feels wrong but do it anyway....the object is to let go a little bit.

4) I am not in danger, this is only anxiety, and anxiety can't hurt me.

5) the flight attendants look relaxed because they ARE relaxed.

When is your flight? I will pray that you feel peace and calm, and then you can know someone is thinking about ya!:)