Flying with lap babies can be extremely dangerous. See this thread on not only how wrong I was in my forecast, but the captain of the airplane was. We were both predicting a smooth flight, and it wasn't.
We will be trying to get seats for them if there are seats avalble. We typically wear them in a carrier strapped to us - which I know is not ideal, but it does reduce the risk somewhat. So no forecast for us? We are from Dallas and have to get home.
If the change you made was related to Gustav, than the airline probably can or should waive the change fees. As you can see on the main site, there are already turbulence advisories for the area due to the instability. I think you might have bumps on your ride if you go anytime from now until the hurricane is well out of the way.
Hopefully on Monday they can fly around the bumps. For sure, they will fly around a hurricane, but the accompanying weather might be hard to avoid. So be prepared for what I call typical turbulence, just 'minor' light to moderate.
You can poke around Flightaware.com on other dates to see the routes. As for getting a current flight plan, they are changed all the time so I'm not sure you can get one in advance. No two flights are identical.
I know that you are in an MD-82, a durable and not the smallest aircraft. I also know airlines won't fly when it's dangerous. They'll cancel the flight or go around the long way. Remember, turbulence is more of a comfort issue than safety issue, which is why they have seat belts.
Great info -the FAA aprooved one is only for kids over 20lbs (typically one year) the next time we travel we will have it for sure. The Baby B'air has several stories of it unlatching the adult sealtbelt it is tethered to, so I looked at all of that decided the wraps and carrier we typically use (attached to my body) would be best -if for no other reason than they are familiar with it outside the plane and very comfortable in it.
We have twins and have hauled both carseats to the gate and made reservations with the thought of best availibility to be able to install the seats -so everything the faa handout suggests. Great info though -I know a lot of moms that think I'm nuts for hauling all this stuff and thinking about all of this.
Thanks for your help -we had a relatively smooth flight - up FL across the gulf (along the coast) and up TX. There was mild turbulence as we flew across LA at 34,000 ft and then again as we began to descend as it is quite windy here in Dallas today.
We did decide to take the Tuesday flight- it seemed Gustav was weakening quite a bit and I saw the tracks of the flights on Monday and the turbulence reports and thought Tuesday would be fine -so we saved the change fee.