Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Seat Location to decrease fear?

Question Best Seat Location to decrease fear?

My husband has always had difficulties flying with turbulence. We fly annually from IND to MCO and back again. We usually travel in August. Although he is nervous during take off/landing, he can easily panic during flight because of turbulence as well as turns and changes in altitude. Our last two flights (July 2007 & December 2007) was very turbulent (during the July trip the attendants did not distribute drinks). My husband's fear/panic caused me to freak out (not good for him to have me freak out). This year I am trying to convince him to drive to Orlando. He would rather fly (he is calm about it while on the ground) stating that by the time we would cross the Ohio River by car we would be landing at MCO.

Is there any seat location better than others to decrease the feel of turbulence?
    Is there a better time of day to fly? To fly NWA, we are limited to 8am or 5pm IND departure and for the return only a 11:50am MCO departure.
    What are the top three airlines of preference?

I apologize for such lengthly information and questions. I just located this site today and would really like input to aid in my vacation decision.

Thank you in advance for your input and advise.

Well, he's right. It's over much faster in a plane (although it may not feel that way). Everyone is in agreement that the back is the worst place to sit. The plane will fishtail due to the tail. Most people say on the wing is the best, and a few think it's best way up front. I'd say the wing though, and it's easy to get a seat over the wing, up front, it's not so easy.

Best time of day to fly is early morning, so take the 8am, unless it's a tiny plane. Than in that case, the larger plane at 5pm might be better.

You might consult with your family practitioner for advice on handling the nervousness.

Feel free to ask questions at any time.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

For me it's the front. I find the wing uncomfortable on moderate days. Does depend on the plane though.

Default The Front!

To me, the front of the aircraft is the best. It just never seems as bad up there.

Over the wing is best, the front isn't too bad. In the back of the bus as they say, is the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by LTCTOO View Post
    To me, the front of the aircraft is the best. It just never seems as bad up there.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Reducing fear is entirely up to him, not the seat!

Although I will say that there is generally less sensation of motion if you are in the aisle seat in the middle of the aircraft, over the wings.

It may be better to get a benzodiazepine

The wing section is the best for me. Also try lift your feet up off the floor during turbulence. I find that help too. Good luck!

Default positioning during turbulence

I am irrationally afraid of turbulence as well. One thing that helps me is to put my head down between my knees, close my eyes and put my fingers over my ears. I know it sounds weird, but, for me, cutting off these other senses really helps. Going to try lifting my feet off the floor next time, per another poster's suggestion. I also prefer the front of the plane -- maybe just psychological.

Sitting in the front works best for me. Sitting in the back is just asking for trouble. Let's look at riding in a roller coaster. If you want a view you sit in the front, if you want to FEEL THE DROP in your stomach you sit in the back. I am always disappointed in roller coasters when I sit in the front. I am almost too scared to sit in the back because the ride is far more fierce with the whip and stomach sensations.

Sitting in the front is the best idea for me.