Thread: United flight 7522

Default United flight 7522

I am scheduled to fly from Indianapolis to Salt Lake City on 9-30-09 and have been looking at air fares. I am sooo terrified and keep putting off purchasing my ticket. I am going for an employment advancement opportunity so I really dont want the fear of flying to get in my way.
    My question is I found an United Flight 7522 from Indianapolis to Colorado. What is anyones opinion of United, I felt confident about this airline until I found a site that shows United as the #1 North American flight that has had the most fatilities. Now I am worried again.
    I know I should stop looking at the internet but it seems I have become obcessed... Please Help!!

I have flown United many times. My biggest problem with them is that they didn't show a movie from Chicago to San Francisco :-) Honestly, if you keep looking at websites, you will always find a reason not to fly...weather, plane type, airline company. I have to fly tomorrow, am not as nervous as usual, but still not calm. I just always think of my dad's advice which sounds harsh, but is said with love and is pretty true - "You are in a plane. You go up, you go down. Sometimes sh** happens in the middle. By tomorrow it will be a memory."

Default Thanks

Yea I am going to give up on looking up things on the internet. My husband who is a pilot himself tells me the same thing. He does not have any fear of flying so it is hard for him to understand my fear. I really like you dads advice. I am sure I will be thinking about it when it comes time for my flight

Quote Originally Posted by kaycholewinski View Post
    I am scheduled to fly from Indianapolis to Salt Lake City on 9-30-09 and have been looking at air fares. I am sooo terrified and keep putting off purchasing my ticket. I am going for an employment advancement opportunity so I really dont want the fear of flying to get in my way.
    My question is I found an United Flight 7522 from Indianapolis to Colorado. What is anyones opinion of United, I felt confident about this airline until I found a site that shows United as the #1 North American flight that has had the most fatilities. Now I am worried again.
    I know I should stop looking at the internet but it seems I have become obcessed... Please Help!!
    Well, keep in mind that their fatality stats have been upped somewhat by virture of being one of the oldest airlines out there. Most others from the era are gone...TWA, Pan Am, Eastern...really only Continental and American are as old. So comapring them to newer carriers doesn't really proportionally indicate fatalities unless you are comparing them to a specific period.

The 9/11 hijackings also increased their stats, but it was no fault of their own.

20 years ago, 292, a DC10 crash in Sioux City was notable not for the fatalities, but for the number of survivors..I belive it was 117 out of 215 people on the aircraft..this was due to outstanding airmanship on the part of the pilots in a situation that was considered impossible.

These stats are also american. The worst Airline in the world for fatalities is not United, but Areoflot in Russia.

Remember, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Also, keep in mind United 7522 is not operated by United Airlines. It's operated by a regional partner, so for a true picture of their accident/incident/fatality rates, you'd need to investigate that carrier.
    Check out my route map: http://my.flightmemory.com/hunter75
    Read about my trips: HunnerWoof