Thread: 3/31 iad - dxb ua 976

Default 3/31 iad - dxb ua 976

Hello,

Thanks in advance for your service. Any details you can provide are greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I forgot to include the departure time. It's 10:18 PM. Are there any early rough guesses as to how this trip looks? I'm not sure how to endure a 13 hour flight if the turbulence is severe or prolonged. Having any sense for what to expect would help in figuring out how to cope. Thanks so much.

I don't think it looks horrible at this point, we'll revisit tomorrow or perhaps b744drvr will chime in.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

At this point it doesn't look bad. Will be back tomorrow as well.

Thank you so much tb_neg and B744drvr for your responses. It seems there's a lot of rain predicted in the East Coast tomorrow so I keep wondering how it will affect the flight. If there's anything else you're able to add tomorrow, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Well, rain is usually no problem, unless it's heavy rain in combination with thunderstorms & lightning but that's not the case today, only some drizzle forecasted.
    The first hour or so will probably be the worst with light/moderate turbulence. Then some turbulence forecasted south of Iceland and overhead Germany/Switzerland. The rest looks fine to me.
    Have a good flight!

Thank you so much. I'm getting ready to go to the airport now. I will try to post a travel report after reaching the final destination.

I'm seeing some severe pireps out of IAD. I hope it wasn't too bad.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.

Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Hello,

I reached the final destination today and I'm pleased to report the flight from IAD - DXB wasn't too bad. There was only light turbulence for the first hour or two. The pilots kept the seatbelt sign on for over an hour after we took off, but nothing too drastic happened. I was listening to the Air Traffic Control channel and the pilots were really concerned about several turbulence off of Nantucket and they asked if the could fly around it. The ATC said yes, they will keep us far away from that area, and we flew around it with no problem. Then it was quite smooth until we reached the south of Iceland. There it became turbulent, but not the kind of violent plunging or severe turbulence that I've experienced on other recent flights. The only surprise was that we passed far North of Cork, which is normally the first city you fly over when crossing the atlantic. We flew over Denmark instead. Around that point, there was light turbulence for about two hours. Finally, we reached Turkey and everything was smooth from there on. We circled around Dubai before landing just as the sun started going down. Dubai looked beautiful from the sky and everyone was straining to look out the window to catch a glimpse of the Burj Khalifa, which is now the tallest building in the world.

I must say, your readings are very accurate. It made a difference checking with you before the flight. There was never a point where I felt uncomfortable or nervous, which is a change from other recent trips where I was still traumatized from flying through severe turbulence last summer. So, I guess there is hope that flying can still enjoyable even for those who had bad experiences. Thanks for your help! I may be checking-in again next week prior to flying back.

I'm glad it all worked out.