Thread: How can you tell if there is turbulence in the sky?

Default How can you tell if there is turbulence in the sky?

Which kind of cloud patterns and textures are likely to indicate a chance of turbulence in the sky? Is there a way to roughly estimate the amount of turbulence by simply looking up?
    For instance, i noticed that during forecasted turbulent days here where i live the sky's blue is much more intense and vivid, and often clouds tend to move fast across the sky.

I don't think you can tell by looking at the sky, due to the distance usually traveled. That's why you need the site. If you see storm clouds though, that may be indicative of a rough take off. When I take a flight, I never take a look at the sky. I pay attention to the wind speed for takeoff bumps, and obsess over the site.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Thank you for the reply.
    I know it's not a good idea to look at the sky for turbulence potential, i didn't mean before a flight. Just in general for curiosity, even when there is no upcoming flight.

Default 500 mb analysis

The 500 mb chart, while more familiar to those with training in meteorology, now shows how a hurricane, or essentially a deep, low pressure system as it appears on the modeled forecast. You should be able to see patterns eventually if you compare it to other weather data. Interesting.