Thread: Jet Stream Question

Default Jet Stream Question

Hi there,

I was just reading a jet stream map (attached) and wondered how the direction the jet stream flow is moving at any one time might affect turbulence. For example, if I were travelling from LHR to JFK, would I be more likely to feel bumps as the plane passed south of Iceland? Or would the bumps be more prominent as it crossed New Foundland? Or would it be possible that there would be no bumps?

I guess I'm asking how jet stream maps can be interpreted for turbulence potential.....

Many Thanks

Greg

turb.jpg

In general it's hard to say. I've found that rides can get bumpy if the jet stream is twisty, or extra strong, but it doesn't always mean that's the case. It's just one of many factors. I like to use the other maps which do some of the interpreting for you, like Transatlantic Eastbound.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Thanks a lot, I must have missed those maps. Couple of other questions if I may, or should I say observations that I'd be grateful if you could clarify:

a) The yellow lines are the jet streams?
    b) The little white wave symbols, are they an indication of chop level?
    c) The red areas are locations where turbulence is likely to be expected (does this marker ever change to indicate a heavier or lighter turbulence potential?)
    d) Can you tell me what the green clouds are?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can tell me.

a) yes, yellow lines are jets
    b) the single wave is moderate, the double wave means severe (not too common)
    c) severity is indicated by the wave symbols in b, but yes, red is turbulence likely area
    d) green clouds are storms

Those maps are the best, we are lucky to have them, thanks to Jeppesen.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying