Thread: 1/11/13 AA560 RSW-ORD 7am LOTS OF TURBS

Default 1/11/13 AA560 RSW-ORD 7am LOTS OF TURBS

I didn't get time to post before my flight. I looked at all the charts (except jet stream) an hour departure, didn't see too much that looked menacing. Take off and first 20 minutes were perfect, pilot announced that we would be flying at 40,000 ft and he expected a smooth flight. As soon as we got to N.Florida the bumps started as chops, then moved to moderate. We descended to 36,000 looking for smooth air, but not much luck on that. Then he changed the flight plan, instead of heading north over Indianapolis, we flew west over St. Louis! Light-mod all the way into ORD, seat belt sign on the whole flight, followed by a descent and landing in fog so thick we were almost over the field before we saw the ground, so I'm not sure what benefit there was by avoiding the area S.E. of ORD. Can you tell me? Thanks!

airmets40.jpg

pireps40.jpg

I wonder if you were viewing a cached image from the site or app, I see there was a severe advisory over ORD at that time and it looks like they were trying to go around most of the bad bumps:
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...200Z/KRSW/KORD
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

I checked the maps on my cell and they certainly didn't look like that or I would still be on the road in a rental car! Maybe they were cached as you said, but the pilot said we were going to have a smooth flight during his first message so he must have looked at the same maps I did! I also checked the Jeppesen maps and they were colorful, but not showing any severe. Is it possible that the maps changed in the approx.1 hr between the time I looked at them/the pilot's announcement, and the actual re-routing of the flight around St.Louis? Pilot said that ATC re-routed us mid-flight.

I have no idea what happened, I checked a few maps before and after the time and it looked about what you'd expect the maps to look like as they change over time.

As to the reroute, no idea what happened there, perhaps they needed you to take longer to fly to ORD because of traffic?
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying