Thread: Bna-aus wn3935 7/28

Default Bna-aus wn3935 7/28

Had an early departure at 7:15am for Austin, departing from Nashville. Everything was smooth (didn't bother to check the forecast), seatbelt sign off at FL400.
    Somewhere around Memphis, we banked sharply left, sharply right, and then about 10-15 seconds of good, solid moderate turbulence and then it was smooth again. It knocked a flight attendant to the floor, knocked another lady in the lav around (she hit her head), drinks were spilled, I grabbed the armrest and I think I may have accidentally swallowed the seat cushion with my rear end.
    After the brief, intense turb the seatbelt sign came on, the flight attendants were told to sit (the had anyway, even if it was the aisle). The FO came on and said we had hit some clear air turbulence jet wash of another A/C that had just passed through the area.
    When we landed it looked like a cold front was in the area, and there was other reported LGT/MOD chop at most altitudes. We ended up at fl380 for a few minutes and finally setting on fl340, the seatbelt sign never came back off, but drink service resumed. The one F/A was injured in the leg area, and he spilled his drink tray.
    I did some research today, and couldn't find an A/C in that area (via flightradar24.com), and I listened to the feed (liveatc.net), and it sounded like there was some rough stuff up there. I'm not 100% we actually hit another A/C's jetwash, but I believe him. I think the bank sharply to the right was either pilot or autopilot reaction to the sudden bank.
    It wasn't necessarily scary, just caught a lot of people off guard.
    A friendly reminder that flying is safe, but keep that seatbelt on when sitting!!!

Well said! Thank you for the report!
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

I can buy into the cat but feel the f/o made up the rest. Flt. crews are pretty good at that
    Thunderstorms always imply severe or greater turbulence.

The only other thing I could possibly think it was, is that at a military jet of some sort flew in the area at that time (since military wouldn't show up on any civilian flight tracker), but I think it was just some good ole CAT that caught the flight crew off guard.