Thread: Jet stream

Default Jet stream

I know I see a lot of talk about the jet stream during winter and am flying in a few days so I am trying to read the jet stream forecast and it is scaring me to death. Is flying IN the jet stream more bumpy or when you fly in and out of it that causes it? For example if you take off in a place in the middle of the jet and stay there is it better or is the jet a problem no matter what? Also is it more turbulent flying against the stream (arrows)? I am flying on Friday and it looks like half the country is covered with the jet so I can't make out what that may mean.

Hi. Flying near, around, or in the jet stream doesn't necessarily mean turbulence. Think of water flowing over rocks. It can be smooth, or really choppy. It really depends. Best way to get an idea of what's going to happen is look at the pilot reports of turbulence before you board.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Thanks for the quick response. One more related question. I have flown through a strong front and I remember how turbulent that was (thankful it only lasted 5 or so mins) since then I have felt like a more confident flyer because I made it through that. Others on the plane were freaking out but I kept my cool. Would you say jets have a similar effect to a front or are better or worse?

It really depends. It's all about temperature changes and wind direction, etc. In general I really don't look for fronts when I do forecasts, I pay more attention to the weather, which is more of a result of the front pushing through. So in other words, it may not be the front causing the turbulence, but the weather associated with it (high winds, it being located before a jet stream, etc).
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

Thanks again! I look forward to your forecast for my Friday flight. I will put it in later tonight or in the morning.