Thread: Near Misses ?

Unhappy Near Misses ?

This morning on the news, I heard that there were seven " near misses " in the area airports this year. Just five alone in the month of May!

What's going on? Aren't air traffic controllers paying attention? Can anyone explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    This morning on the news, I heard that there were seven " near misses " in the area airports this year. Just five alone in the month of May!

What's going on? Aren't air traffic controllers paying attention? Can anyone explain this?
    Seven near misses are one too many, but there are a few things to remember. First, at any given time there are between 6,000 and 8,000 airplanes in the air in the U.S. When you compare seven incidents to all the take offs and landings that take place in one month the number is very, very small. Second, all incidents have to be reported but that doesn't necessarily mean that every incident was almost an accident or that the two airplanes were 50 feet away from each other. Any deviation from the standard protocol has to be reported.

Having said that, near misses are definitely a problem. We have too many airplanes flying into large airports and many of the ATC people are tired. But there are many safeguards such as short shifts for ATC personnel or the fact that all aircraft have a TCAS system that tells them when an airplane is too close. I wouldn't be too concerned, though. Flying is still extremely safe (when was the last time you heard about two airplanes crashing in mid air).

They call near misses when then approach too close, but not to represent an inmediate danger. With the TCAS, the risk virtually non existent. The only concerned is in countries with a lack of radars, in which planes donīt normally have TCAS and, light planes donīt have the transporder on.

As far as Europe and America, all planes should have TCAS fitted. So I wouldnīt get too concerned for this issue.

As usual, I guess the media likes to make things worse than what they seem.

You have a much greater chance of hitting a car on the way to the airport then your plane hitting another. Every day, in the US alone, 5000+ airplanes are in the sky during the daytime. In fact, here are the latest stats from http://flightaware.com

Tracking 5,074 airborne aircraft with 45,035,395 total flights in the database. FlightAware has tracked 49,405 arrivals in the last 24 hours.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying