Thread: Avoid the ERJ-170/190

Unhappy Avoid the ERJ-170/190

I have flown Jetblue 6 times now on their ERJ-190 and have only experienced 1 smooth (light turbulence) ride. The aircraft has a spacious/comfortable cabin but your are thrown around in turbulence.

I flew into Austin, TX yesterday on JetBlue 1265 (BOS-AUS). The first hour of the flight was smooth, the next 3 hours were pure hell. When we landed I asked the captain what level of turbulence we had encountered. He said moderate, moderate-severe at times. He said that the ERJ-170/190 are safe, dependable aircraft but its fuel efficient wing design and its light weight makes it less than desirable in turbulence.

Again, this is just my experience, but if you hate turbulence (as most of you do) I would avoid this aircraft. I was suppose to fly back on this same aircraft tomorrow. I decided to book a flight out on Monday instead on AA's MD-80.

Anyone else have issues with this aircraft? I'm worried that some of the other US carriers will start replacing there older 737's and MD-80's with this aircraft.

At first I was going to say I was surprised by your experience, but then I looked up both a 737 and E-190, the 737 is approximate 4 times heavier.

I have to agree. I've had smooth flights in a CRJ-200, but it's very prone to being thrown around due to it's light weight (it's about the same as the ERJ-190), so I've had a couple periods of chop in them.

I don't care much for the CRJ-2, so I guess since the ERJ is in the same weight class, I'd rather fly a A320 than the ERJ. ERJ-135/ERJ-145 are really light weight too.
    TURBULENCE FORECAST IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION FOUND HERE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Please read our forum rules and regulations before posting. By posting or continuing to browse, you agree to these terms.
    Donations are used to fund new features and to offset costs.

Download our app: Turbulence Forecast for iOS
    Read the best book on fear of flying (e-book or paperback): Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying

I've had several flights on the E170/190 and they have been very smooth. I think there are just so many variables with it all. I wouldn't avoid it just because of the type.
    Check out my route map: http://my.flightmemory.com/hunter75
    Read about my trips: HunnerWoof

On E170 today into PHL coming through <10,000 feet - terrible chop in mostly sunny skies with many white broken clouds. Winds were only out of West at 8 mph. Sitting on the wing which made it feel even worse. I'd hate to think if it were 20 mph winds today.

Quote Originally Posted by ksjhawk View Post
    On E170 today into PHL coming through <10,000 feet - terrible chop in mostly sunny skies with many white broken clouds. Winds were only out of West at 8 mph. Sitting on the wing which made it feel even worse. I'd hate to think if it were 20 mph winds today.
    Was on an E175 yesterday coming into MDW and had the same experience. Great weather with a few light puffy clouds and 10 mph winds. Bounced around a lot as soon as we reached the top of that cloud layer. Rest of the flight was mostly smooth though.